Sunday, December 6, 2009

An Old Film Camera Brought Back to Life


Photo Taken with a crisscross filter

I have recently resurrected an old film camera (Minolta SRT SC-II) that I used in the 70's and 80s. I must say there are differences between then and now... (1) After I shoot a picture I automatically look to the back of the camera for an LCD Screen to see what the picture looks like - oops - not there. (2) I forget, almost every time to advance the film - so, after I frame my picture and set the aperture and shutter speed and I go to release the shutter - I have to stop and advance the film... argh.

The above picture is from the first roll of black and white film shot through that camera in about 20 years. With today's film cameras you can have the camera automatically choose the right settings and the film is advanced (no picture on the back though). Kinda spoils the fun.

When I took the film to be developed I was asked if I wanted them put on a CD - I said yes. The question seemed odd to me - however, it did enable me to cross the divide between film and digital. Now I've got a digital copy I can manipulate - I didn't, but I could have. However, it kinda spoils the creative process and the fun of shooting the film where what you shoot is what you get with no chance to fix the photograph. It seems I took a long way (and a more expensive way) to get a photograph that I could have gotten if I had just taken a photo with my digital camera - I would have had my photograph - quicker and cheaper.

Quicker and cheaper doesn't always trump an activity - it can't replace the enjoyment I got from hearing the "sound" of the shutter going off, the feel of the camera in my hand, figuring out the correct aperture and shutter speed and even the anticipation of waiting for the film to be developed. I won't be doing a lot of shooting with the camera, but I've got to say I think I'll continue to experiment with the it. It's a good way to improve my skills and I get to travel back in time - even if it is just for a few minutes. A roll of color is next... so stay tuned...
(Click on the photo to view a larger image).

No comments:

Post a Comment